As teachers we’re always looking for great reading material, and thanks to NTCE, we have a list of the best children’s books for this New Year!
According to the NCTE website, the Charlotte Huck Award for Outstanding Fiction for Children was created in 2014 to help promote and recognize excellent children’s fiction.
“This award recognizes fiction that has the potential to transform children’s lives by inviting compassion, imagination, and wonder.”
2017 Honor Books:
- The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill
- Ms. Bixby’s Last Day by John David Anderson
- The Night Gardener by Eric and Terry Fan
- The Wild Robot by Peter Brown
- Worm Loves Worm by J.J. Austrian
2017 Recommended Books:
- A Bandit’s Tale: The Muddled Misadventures of a Pickpocket by Deborah Hopkinson
- Hoot and Peep by Lita Judge
- Inquisitor’s Tale: Or, The Three Magical Children and Their Holy Dog by Adam Gidwitz
- Luis Paints the World by Terry Farish
- One Half from the East by Nadia Hashimi
- The Princess and the Warrior: A Tale of Two Volcanoes by Duncan Tonatiuh
- The Seventh Wish by Kate Messner
- Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk
To read more about these books, or to see a list of past awarded books, click here.
Photo Credit: Annie Spratt