Kate DiCamillo’s book, Because of Winn-Dixie, is a favorite among many.
I love it just because it is a simple, yet beautiful story about friendship, hardship, family, and love.
I created a sample lesson plan for this book, focusing on
- vocabulary used in the text
- emotions of the characters [see emotion color wheel]
- directed reading questions on characters, actions, emotions
- themes of the story
- art activity: self-identity
- writing activity: emotion/self-identity in the novel
For the complete lesson, click here.